Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Let's talk about stripes:

Do you remember  statement shoulders that were so in last year ? Ruffly, pumping up the volume with shoulderpads or with embelishments, i just did not care for it. It looks good on some people, small frames specifically, but on me not so much.
(The history of the humble shoulder pad actually dates back to the 1930s, when designer of the moment Elsa Schiaparelli used them in her collections. And, in 1932, movie star Joan Crawford popularised the look when she sported shoulder pads in the film Letty Lynton.  Balmain weren't the only ones to make shoulders a focal point - Balenciaga, Marc Jacobs, Givenchy and Dolce & Gabbana have gone for big shoulders with their designs for autumn/winter 09, and a slew of high street imitations were sure to follow.)
On me it just looks kind of cheap and tacky, i much prefer structured dresses and clothes that flatter my shape. But this season, i am absolutely obsessed with striped Tees, à la Brigitte Bardot.



There is something almost child like, effortless, classic yet modern about them. So i am on a mission to yet find the perfect stripped T, which i will add to my mini collection featured here.


From left to the right: Massimo Dutti, H&M, Splendid.

I usually pair my T, with a bodycon skirt and leggings, or leggings and a long cardigan over the top, even over a black dress and almost all of the time with flats.

I plan on purchasing this one from French Connection, more like a dress, but its out of stock since 1 month :( How gorgeous would that look with thick opaque matte tights and flats?

This one is a bit out of my comfort zone, but looks stunning. Kate Moss for Topshop:
Im going to chanel my inner BB tommorow, tease my hair and wear a black headband:)

What is your must have fashion item this season?
Elly

7 comments:

  1. This post has inspired me to find a striped shirt! Thanks for sharing! And as for my must have fashion item for the season, sequin or rhinestone embellishments!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Striped shirts are so classic and a must-have item in your closet! My holiday item this year just loading up on basics! :-) xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Didn't know that the body shop has a vanilla perfume, need to check it out :)
    Thank you for stopping by :)

    xo Christine

    http://christineiversen.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love stripes too, though I tend to favour vertical ones! You are right, they quickly pull an outfit together in an effortless, classy way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Saw you were french :) So am i but i live in the US. :)

    I love the stripes. I just wear skinny jeans and a striped navy and white sweater and istantly feel like i'm good to go.

    Love your blog <3


    www.beauty-fullmind.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete